Thursday, March 10, 2016

Epics of India Reading Plan

During Week 9 I would like to finally watch Nina Paley's "Sita Sings the Blues." I am also very interested in watching the film series "Seven Secrets of Hindu Calendar Art - Gods and Goddesses."

During Week 10 I want to read the Buddhist Jataka Tales. I have always been interested in Buddhist ideas and feel that they really resonate with me. I also think that they could be beneficial to my storybook theme of karma, as this is a core belief in Buddhism.

I am also open to reading suggestions, specifically those that may help me write my Storybook (that have to do with turtles, sea-life, and/or karma).


Bhavacakra. Source: Wikipedia.

This image depicts the samsara, an important symbol to Buddhists. Samsara means cyclic existence or wheel of life, and can be compared to the idea of karma. This is also an important concept in yoga.  

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ashlyn, the jatakas really will be great! Start with the Babbit ones here and see what you think: there are turtles! Babbitt: Jataka Tales

    ReplyDelete